Installing a kitchen spray hose

Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Faucet Tips and other Fixtures topics.

How do I attach a spray hose?

Installing a kitchen spray hose

Here's something you should know before you try to attach a spray hose to your kitchen faucet: Your faucet must be set up for a spray hose: Many are, some are not. You can't just buy a spray hose and hook it up. No. When you buy a new kitchen faucet, you will know if it comes with a spray or not. In which case, attaching it is really very easy. Look underneath at the faucet's plumbing, so to speak. You'll probably see two copper supply tubes. Behind these tubes you will see what is known as a stub-out, which is threaded and to which you screw on the spray hose. You can't screw up; there is only one end that you can screw on. The spray head is at the opposite end. Apropos, you should probably make sure you have threaded the hose down through the hole in the sink designed to hold the spray head. (A minor, but important detail.) Use a basin wrench to tighten the nut. This is a useful tool with a springy swivel head and big teeth that allows you to lie on your back under the sink and twist the necessary nuts. To check to see how well you screwed up, so to speak, take out the aerator on the faucet and on the sprayer. Turn on the water slowly at first, then go back and forth between the faucet and sprayer. If the bugger leaks, give the coupling nuts another quarter twist with the old basin wrench.



8/1/2007 7:55:30 AM
Don Romero said:

If you have a single handle faucet, forget the basin wrench. There won't be enough clearance from the supply lines coming out of the body of the faucet to use it. You'll have better luck with a very small Crescent style wrench, open end box wrench or small pliers.

8/14/2007 1:12:40 PM
chris said:

I built a new home 7 years ago, the sprayer flew off and water went everwhere. I replaced the sprayer with the new seal on the end of hose. My problem is it won't stay on, why, what is wrong?

1/27/2009 9:16:15 PM
Janine said:

I have a quick release system at the water source end. Which is where it is leaking. How do I replace this - do I have to buy it from the manufacturer??? I bought a universal replacement house and it doesn't seam to have the right parts


URL: (optional)


Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Fixtures Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
Alexis Niki