Buying a showerhead 101
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Bathroom Shower Tips and other Fixtures topics.
What to look for in a showerhead?
So you want to buy a showerhead? Sounds simple enough, right. You'll be happy to know that showerheads have gotten smarter and more versatile over the years. This is a good thing. You can get the showerhead that best suits your needs and decorating tastes. What kind is right for you? Here are a few tips that might help:
- If you like to shower sitting down or have kids or pets you need to hose down quickly and efficiently, a hand held shower head is for you. If you want to have your hands-free, you can get a set up with a side mount that's pretty cool.
- If you are into the sensuousness of the shower experience, you can get showerheads that allow you to adjust the force of the spray as well as the spray pattern. Set your head for luxury and let the pleasure flow.
- Showerheads in plastic, chrome, and other finishes. If you go for a finish, make sure it matches your other bath fixtures. If you want one that will stay nice and shiny, invest in one with a PVD (physical vapor deposition) finish.
- If water conservation is your thing, try a low-flow model. Depending on how long you stay in the shower, you could save up to 17,000 gallons of water per year.
- I your area has hard water, you can get a “self-cleaning” showerhead that will slow down mineral accretions. Finally, if your skin gets dried out from showering, put in a showerhead water filter that reduces the desiccating effects of chlorine.