How do I install a toilet?
Whether you invest in a Kohler, American Standard, one-piece or two-piece toilet, it won't be able to do its duty until you install it. Installing a toilet can be complicated. So if you don't feel like messing with the subtleties, call a plumber or somebody who knows the ropes better than you. Here are the basic steps you will need to follow to get your hopper up and flushing.
- You'll need to rough in the closet bend and toilet floor flange first. When replacing a toilet, make sure to scrape off the old wax gasket. A putty knife works well for this. Remove the old bolts from the floor flange and scrape the flange clean to prevent leaks at the base of the new bowl. If the old flange is cracked or broken, replace it with a new floor flange.
- When you set in your floor flange, always make sure that the underside of the flange is at the level of the finished floor. Tighten the screws that hold the floor flange to the floor. As you do this use a small level to be sure the flange is level.
- Set the new floor bolts in plumber's putty and insert them through the flange. Adjust the bolts so they line up with the center of the drainpipe.
- Turn your toilet bowl upside down and stick the new wax gasket over the toilet horn on the bottom of the bowl. Caution: a cold wax ring won't seat right. You may want to warm it up before installing it.
- Lay on a bead of plumber's putty around the entire bottom edge of the bowl.
- Lower the bowl into place over the flange, using the bolts to guide you. Twist slightly as you press down firmly. Do you feel the toilet being pushed into the wax ring? You should. If you don't, your flange is too low, which means you will not get a good wax seal between the flange and the horn (waste outlet).
- Level the bowl. Add shims as needed. Make sure you've got the toilet lined up squarely in relation to the wall. Tighten the nuts and washers onto the bolts by hand. Now you are ready to install the tank.
- Move the rubber tank cushion into position on the back part of the bowl. Fit the rubber gasket onto the flush valve opening on the bottom of the tank.
- Position the tank over the bowl; then tighten the nuts and washers onto the mounting bolts.
- Using an adjustable wrench, tighten the hold-down bolts at the base of the bowl. Check to see that the bowl is still level.
- Fill the bolt caps with plumber's putty and place them over the bolt ends. Seal the base of the toilet bowl with plumber's putty or silicone caulk.
- Cut the end of your supply line stub out and attach a shut off valve. Connect the shutoff valve to the toilet tank with a flexible supply hose.
Fixtures Frequently Asked Questions
What types of finishes are available for american standard fixtures?
What's the story on brass fixtures?
How do manufacturer protect brass finishes?
What's the story on chrome finishes?
What's the story on nickel finishes?
What are distressed finishes?
What's the story on stainless steel finishes?
What's the story on Oil Rubbed Bronze finishes.
What's the story on Solid bronze
When should plumber's putty not be used.
How do new showerheads conserve water?
How many types of faucets are there?
Which size lavatory faucet do I need?
Why buy a Kohler faucet?
How can I clean my Moen LifeShine faucet?
How do I remove solid copper supply tubes?
How do I install flexible supply lines to my faucet?
How do I attach copper supply tubes?
How do I attach a spray hose?
How do I put in a new faucet?
How do I know when my aerator is kaput?
How do I take out and clean a faucet aerator.
How do I know if I have a washerless faucet?
How to identify stem type from cartridge type faucets?
What if my aerator is dead?
How do I make sure I get the right replacement piece for my faucet?
How do I replace a cartridge faucet
Do I always have to buy a new cartrdige when it leaks?
How do I repair a leaky stem-type faucet
After replacing the washers my faucet still leaks. What now?
How can a new sink reinvigorate my bathroom?
What is a lavatory?
What is a vessel sink?
What about sinks?
How do I keep towels off the floor?
How do I accessorize a guest bathroom?
What paper holder options are there?
How do I de-clutter my bath?
How do I hang towel bars?
Where does the Towel Ring go?
What additional tips do yu have for outfitting a guest bathroom?
How can I jazz up my bathroom's décor.
What tips on bathroom shower curtains?
How do I choose a shower curtain
What are the newestbathroom decorating trends?
Design trends in shower enclosures
What décor tips are there for showers?
What to look for in a showerhead?
What is the difference between a spa, hot tub Jacuzzi and whirlpool?
How do I shop for a Jacuzzi or hot tub?
What kind of faucet goes with a hot tub or spa?
What kinds of faucets are for Jacuzzis?
Besides the faucet what other accessories should I get?
Hot tub and spa? What's the difference?
Why buy Price Pfister?
Why use genuine Price Pfister replacement parts?
What causes faucet leaks?
What's new from Price Pfister kitchen faucets?
How do I choose a kitchen sink?
What are some common sink materails available?
What are the pros and cons of acrylic?
What shapes do kitchen sinks come in?
What kind of bowl depth and options are there?
What's a top-mounted sink?
What is an under mount sink?
What is a farmhouse or apron sink?
Can a porecelain bowl be customized?
What are the décor advantages of a glass sink?
What other materials are used in bath room sinks?
What about wooden sinks and tubs?
What are the advantages of a stainlsess steel sink?
What's new in kitchen sink faucets?
How easy is it to install new bath fixtures
How do I hire a plumber?
What can I do myself?
How can I save money on a plumber?
What is a standard framed vanity cabinet?
What is a frameless bathroom vanity?
What do I look for in a quality bathroom vanity?
What's a vanity?
What mirrors are there for my bathroom?
Whick kitchen appliance finishes require less attention?
Can I install a garbage disposal myself?
How do I install an automatic soap dispenser?
What advantages of a hot water dispenser?
What's a hot and cold water dispenser?
What is a rough in and why is it important?
What types of toilets are available?
What makes a toilet work?
How do I install a toilet?
What are the most common mistakes in installing a toilet?
Which type faucet works with a pedestal sink?
What's the latest decorating ideas in bathroom sinks?
How do I mount a pedestal sink?
What are the pros and cons of a pedestal sink?
What are the pros and cons of a porcelain sink?